Saturday, October 10, 2026

The Sparkly Necklace

 The Sparkly Necklace

Once upon a time, there lived a woman named Mathilde and her husband, Louis, in a small, cozy home.

Louis was kind and cheerful. He loved their warm soup, their little table, and the way Mathilde sang while she worked.

But Mathilde often looked out the window and sighed.

“I wish we had a big house,” she said. “I wish I had shiny dresses and beautiful jewels.”

Louis wanted Mathilde to be happy. One day, he came home holding a special envelope.

“Mathilde!” he said. “We have been invited to a grand party!”

Mathilde opened the invitation. Her eyes grew wide.

“A grand party?” she said. “But I have nothing lovely to wear!”

Louis saved his money and bought her a pretty new dress. Still, Mathilde frowned.

“A dress is not enough,” she said. “I need something sparkly.”

So, Mathilde visited her friend, Madame Forestier.

“May I borrow a necklace for the party?” Mathilde asked.

Her friend smiled and opened a little jewelry box.

“Of course,” she said. “Choose one.”

Mathilde saw a necklace that glittered like tiny stars.

“Oh!” she gasped. “This one is perfect!”

At the party, Mathilde felt like a princess. People smiled at her. They admired her dress and her shining necklace. She danced and laughed all evening.

But when she got home, Mathilde touched her neck—and suddenly froze.

“The necklace is gone!” she cried.

Louis searched the streets. Mathilde searched for their pockets, their coats, and the floor of their little home.

But the necklace was nowhere.

Mathilde and Louis were afraid to tell Madame Forestier. Instead, they found a necklace that looked exactly the same. It cost almost all the money they had—and much more money that they had to borrow.

For many years, Mathilde and Louis worked very hard to pay back the money. They cleaned, carried, cooked, and saved every coin.

At last, they had paid everything back.

One day, Mathilde saw Madame Forestier walking down the street.

“I must tell you something,” Mathilde said sadly. “I lost your necklace long ago. We bought another one to replace it, and it took us many years to pay for it.”

Madame Forestier looked surprised.

“Oh, Mathilde!” she said gently. “That necklace was not made of real diamonds.”

Mathilde blinked.

“It was only a pretty costume necklace,” said Madame Forestier. “It was not worth very much at all.”

Mathilde stood quietly for a moment.

Then she understood an important lesson: beautiful things can be fun, but kindness, honesty, and being grateful for what we have are far more precious than anything that sparkles.

The lesson

It is good to enjoy pretty things, but we do not need them to be special. Telling the truth and appreciating the people and home we already have can save us from many troubles.

"The Necklace" is a short story written by Guy de Maupassant, first published in 1884. It's a tale about pride and the consequences of vanity.

No comments: