Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Brahmin’s Consultations

The Brahmin’s Consultations


Shivam Nautiyal
Sham .S. Misri

It is a sunny day and the miraculous sun shines happily amongst the abundant canopy of trees. In the heart of the dense forest saunters our protagonist, the poor Brahmin Shul. As he is traveling towards his cosy accommodation, he is taken aback by the sight of a tiger trapped in thick netting.
“Help me, O please help me!” begged the weary tiger.
O the poor thing, thinks Shul, and quickly rushes to untie the helpless animal.
Just as it is untied, the cunning tiger makes a beastly pounce and pins the Brahmin to the ground.
“Why you…” he bellows but quickly realizes who he is talking to, “…I mean, O mighty tiger please spare me!”      
The tiger puts on a devious smile.
“I may appeal to three things against tigers,” he says.

And so Shul was put to a task. Firstly he asks a nearby pipal tree. However, the results aren’t good-
“You, selfish Humans!  Who do you think you are? You take shade from my brothers and then chop them to log. How ungrateful are YOU!” bellows the grumpy tree.
Shul finds this hopeless and moves on until he has yet another strange incident. This time Shul meets a road. Kindly he asks the same question.
After asking, the road replies (softer than the tree), “In return of my services, you trample on me with your heavy boots!”
Now Shul feels some regret but continues hopelessly, knowing that his dear life is at stake. After this he finds a buffalo. Once again he asks the animal. Once again he finds a barren answer-
“I don’t wish to see you” said the buffalo.
“But why?” The Brahmin asks.
“Why?” shouts the buffalo, “Because you, my dear enemy, and all of your kind are ruthless.
My master, he beats me and whips me while I turn his stupid Persian wheel!”
“O my …!” says the now wide- eyed Brahmin.
After hearing the tales of all these innocent animals he grows more aware of how important it is to take action. But his life is at stake; surely he can help nature afterwards? At last he grows tired and weary. As he is sullenly returning to his death he sees Jackal. Quickly, he consults Jackal, in hope for an answer.
Strangely, Jackal says, “Lead me to the tiger.”
Following the command, Shul leads Jackal to the fearsome tiger.
“Fearless king” Jackal asks, “How did you get into the filthy cage?”
“Like this”, demonstrates the tiger.
Proudly he jumps right into the cage and a splits second later Jackal shuts the cage. The tiger gives a tremendous roar, cursing the Brahmin with the name Shul.
But Shul was not to be seen. As a matter of fact, Shul had run away while the Tiger and the Jackal had their little ‘meeting’. Foolishly, he tripped on a pipal root and smashes his forehead on a road. Later on he is eaten by a herd of buffaloes.
Moral: If helped, give help

No comments: