Monday, December 4, 2023

A story from Bapu’s Life

 A story from Bapu’s Life

Soon after Gandhiji’s return from south Africa, a meeting of the congress was held in Bombay. Kaka Saheb Kalelkar went there to help Gandhiji. One day Kaka Saheb found Gandhiji anxiously searching for something on his desk. “What’s the matter? What are you looking for?” Kaka Saheb asked. I’ve lost my pencil,” It was a very small pencil.” Kaka’ Saheb was upset to see Bapu wasting time and worrying about a little pencil. He took out his pencil and offered it to him. About a little pencil! Bapu was again offered a pencil. “No, no, I want my own little pencil, Bapu insisted like stubborn child. “Well, use it for the time being,” said Kaka Saheb. “I’ll find your pencil later. Don’t waste time looking for it.” You don’t understand. That little pencil is very precious to me,” Bapu insisted. “Natesan’s little son gave it to me in Madras. He gave it with so much love and affection. I cannot bear to lose it”. Kaka Saheb didn’t argue any more. He joined Gandhiji in search. At last, they found it- tiny piece, hardly two inches long. But Gandhiji was delighted to get it back. To him it was no ordinary pencil. It was the token of a child’s love and Bapu a child ‘s love was very precious.                                            

No comments: