Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Indra Tests a Woman

(A Hindu Philosophy)
Sham S. Misri

Once Indra met a very beautiful lady. He had descended from the heaven in the disguise of an old Brahmin. . Then said Indra: O dark-haired lady, you talk of your husband as if you had known him from your birth; whereas you met him for first time in your life last night. And till now you were strangers that have met by chance.
Then said that lady: Brahman, you are speaking only to entice me. Know, that a woman recognises in an instant, with unerring wisdom, if only she be fortunate enough to see him, the man proper to be her husband: for this depends not upon the shallow and casual experiences of this life, but the store of memories of a former birth. And this was my case: for since I saw my husband, I am other than I was, altered for infinity by a moment of illumination and the nectar of mutual recognition.

The Creator planted in the core of all things animate and inanimate aversions and attractions to be their destiny, not to be controlled or disobeyed. 

No comments: