Monday, March 26, 2012

Ant and the Butterfly

Sham S.Misri

One day an ant came upon the cocoon and having come to know that a chrysalis is in the cocoon, began to feel sorry for the *chrysalis.
The ant said,”oh, you poor creature, you must be feeling like a prisoner inside the unkind shell! Look at me; I am free to move about wherever I wish!”
The chrysalis did not reply.
The ant thought it was feeling sad over its fate and went away.
Some days passed, the ant happened to pass the same way. The ant did not see the chrysalis there. In its place was an empty shell. The ant wondered what had happened to the poor creature, when all of a sudden the ant saw a beautiful butterfly with a pair of colourful wings, flying above him. The butterfly said, “Hi you ant, you don’t recognise me! I am the chrysalis you felt sorry for a few days ago. Just look at me now! I am free to wander wherever I wish. Not just on land, mind you, but everywhere at all!”
Saying so, the butterfly spread her beautiful wings and soared into the sky.
* When an insect, like butterfly, is in a stage between larva and adult, it is called chrysalis. The chrysalis lies in the cocoon, an outer protective covering. It is this chrysalis that changes into a butterfly.

No comments: