Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Beautiful Priest

Sham S.Misri


Once, a young man was engaged in a king’s temple as a priest. One day he went to the market to buy some fruits. A group of people saw him and decided to pull his leg. One of them told him,” I have seen many priests but none as handsome as you!. If you are so beautiful your parents must be good looking too. Tell us all about yourself. Are you the child of your father or your mother?”
          The priest understood that the men were having fun at his expense. “I come from a poor family and so I don’t know how to answer your question. I don’t know whether I should feel honoured or embarrassed by your compliment. I really don’t know how to answer your question. Can I ask a question instead?”
          The leader nodded his head and the priest clapped his hands loudly.
“Please tell me which of my hands made the sound?” said the priest.” The right or the left”
“The sound was made by both the hands together!” said the leader.”The right or the left hand alone cannot make the sound.”
“That is right,” said the priest. “My reply to your question is also the same. I’m the child of both my parents and not of my father or of mother, alone. And so far my good looks, I think you should ask my parents!”
          The leader of the group felt ashamed. He shook hands with the young priest saying,”you are not only good looking but also very wise.”

No comments: