Friday, December 23, 2011

An Appointment with Death

Sham S. Misri
A rich merchant once wanted to entertain his friends. Among the many servants he had, he told one to go to the market and buy a few things so that they could entertain their friends in the evening.
The servant was very happy. He took some money from the master and went to the market. When he was busy trying to buy a few things from the market, someone pushed him from the back. When that happened, the servant turned around and saw who it was. He was very afraid to see a man wearing black clothes. It was’ the god of death’ in person standing there. The servant said, “I don’t want to die.” And he ran back to his master. The master was surprised to see him running back from the market without anything. Then, the master said, “What’s the matter with you? Why are you so much afraid?” The servant replied, “Master, please excuse me. As I went to the market and was trying to buy a few things; somebody pushed me, and when I turned around I was horrified to see death in person standing there in the market. Please save me, I don’t want to die.”
The master could not understand these things. “All right, go to the stable and get one fast horse, and ride to the neighboring village. Very shortly you will reach there and you will be completely safe there.”
The servant was very happy. “That’s a good idea. Master is very kind for a change.” He went to the stable, took a horse and started for the village. Within two hours he reached the village and he was very happy to go.
When the servant left, the master thought, “What is this death personified?” So he went to the market to see. He looked around, and saw death lurking in a corner. He called death over, and death came near the master. He asked, “Why are you loitering here?” Death said, “It’s my job to loiter here. I pick up a few living people, and one day I’ll pick you up also.”
”Forget about me,” the master said, “but tell me, why did you push my servant?”
The Death replied, “I did not push your servant, but I was surprised to see him in a village, because I have an appointment with him there in that village in the afternoon.” I had instructions to pick him from there only.

1 comment:

Sarla said...

good one.