Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Little Tree’s Wish

Sham S. Misri
There was a little tree in a forest.  He was covered with needles instead of leaves. The needles were sharp and prickly, and the little tree said, “All my tree friends have beautiful green leaves, and I have only sharp needles. No one will touch me. If I could have a wish I would ask for leaves of pure gold.” When night fell, the little tree went to sleep. In the morning, he found himself covered with golden leaves!

“How grand I am!” said the little tree, “No other tree in the woods is dressed in gold.''
In the evening a trader came there. He saw the golden leaves. He picked them all and left the little tree bare.

“Alas!'' cried the little tree, “all my golden leaves are gone! I am ashamed to stand among the other trees that have beautiful leaves. If I only had another wish I would ask for leaves of glass.''
Then the little tree fell asleep. When he woke early, he found himself covered with bright and shining leaves of glass.

“Now,” said the little tree, “I am happy. No tree in the woods shines like me.”
But there came a storm. It struck the glass, and in a moment all the shining leaves lay shattered on the ground.

“My leaves, my glass leaves!” cried the little tree, “they lie broken in the dust, while other trees are still dressed in their beautiful foliage. Oh! If I had another wish I would ask for green leaves.”
The little tree slept again, and in the morning he was covered with fresh, green leaves. He laughed merrily, and said, “Now, I need not be ashamed any more. I am like my friends of the woods.”
After some time, some goats came. They were looking for grass and herbs. They saw the new leaves and nibbled, and ate away the tender shoots, till the little tree stood bare.

1 comment:

pooja tickoo said...

This is a wonderful story. We should be happy the way we are...No or less cribbing is the MANTRA of life/happiness:-) Thank you very much uncle ji for these lovely stories.